Thursday, September 08, 2005

Web 2.0 in My Own Words

I was challenged to put Web 2.0 into an elevator pitch. This is my attempt to process what I have learned and try to pass it along. This was a helpful exercise.

From what I understand, a big part of Web 2.0 is about making information accessible. I have heard the term "content silo" kicked around with a project here at Campus Crusade. A content silo means that only I can access a database or resource documents because they are only contained in my "web."

Google and Flikr are using new trends to make the information in their databases accessible to others so that others can take what they have created and use it for another application. An example would be Google Maps. Others have used the information for the "maps" and built another interface application that helps people find housing, find cheap gasor map the movement of hurricanes.

RSS is making information accessible in that I do not have to browse to find information that I want but I can "subscribe" and that info comes to me. RSS is what makes podcasting different from just posting an mp3 on a website.

So in a nutshell, I understand Web 2.0 to be about making information more accessible, both for users and developers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home